Welcome to the International Opportunities page! This is where SfGH members’ opportunities will be posted throughout the year, including IFMSA events and external meeting delegations, exchanges opportunities, and other opportunities abroad!
(Note on IFMSA applications: Where it asks for the signature of the “NMO President” on candidature forms, this refers to the Director of International Affairs. Please request candidature form signatures as far in advance as possible and include [URGENT] in the subject line)
IFMSA Delegation to UNFCCC COP24 2018
IFMSA PreWHA Organising Committee
IFMSA-Guatemala – SRT Guatemala 2018
IFMSA-Morocco – Moro Camp SRT
IFMSA Delegation to UNFCCC 2018
- Where: Katowice, Poland.
- When: 3-14 December 2018
- Application process: Fill out the application form (Link) and send your signed and stamped candidature form (Link) to email@example.com
- Deadline: the 9th of October 2018 23:59 GMT.
“Dear IFMSA members,
We are opening the call for IFMSA delegation to the Conference of Parties 24 Katowice, United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, which will take place in Katowice, Poland between the 3rd and 14th of December 2018. This email will inform you about all the procedures to apply to be a member of the delegation, so please read carefully till the end!
What is the COP ?
Every year, the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) hosts its annual conference, known as the Conference of Parties (COP). This conference brings tens of thousands of key stakeholders together from member states, Civil Society Groups and Inter Governmental Agencies from all over the world to talk about international collaboration on Climate Change. It will be an event that will be influencing global and national policy on adaptation and mitigation efforts.
The Paris Agreement, adopted on 12 December 2015 at COP21, marked the beginning of a new era in the global response to climate change. The world now has a global climate agreement – that may have a major public health policy impact as countries take action. As stated in the agreement, “the right to health”, will be central to the actions taken. The Agreement not only sets ambitious aims to curb greenhouse gas emissions to keep global warming well below 2°C, it also commits countries to strengthen adaptation. This includes implementing plans that should protect human health from the worst impacts of climate change, such as air pollution, heat waves, floods and droughts, and the ongoing degradation of water resources and food security.
Member states that are signatories of The Paris Agreement are now bound to develop and share their Specific National Policies in line with their Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) .Through monitoring and revision of national contributions every five years, the world will begin to see improvements not only in the environment, but also in health, including reductions in the more than 7 million deaths worldwide that are attributed to air pollution every year.
For more information:
Official COP24 website: http://cop24.gov.pl
The Paris Agreement: https://unfccc.int/resource/docs/2015/cop21/eng/l09r01.pdf
IFMSA at COP21: http://ifmsa.org/tag/cop21/
IFMSA at COP22: http://ifmsa.org/tag/cop22/
IFMSA Training Manual on Climate and Health: http://ifmsa.org/2016/04/01/ifmsa-launches-training-manual-climate-health/
Objectives of IFMSA’s participation in the COP 24:
- Promote Health within the COP discussions and negotiations.
- Advocate for Parties to include Health within their NDCs and Health Sector Adaptation Measures in their NAPs.
- IFMSA to be recognised as Leader in Environmental Health within Youth Groups & Health Organisations.
- Address the role of Health and Healthcare Workers in the Climate Change Negotiations with other stakeholders.
- Promote the IFMSA 2020 Vision of Climate-Health in Medical Curricula
Delegates are expected to::
- Be available for the full duration of the meeting, or be available and have a preference for 1 of the weeks suggested
- Fund their own travel and accommodation expenses.
- Actively participate in the delegation’s preparations.
- Work toward achieving the objectives of IFMSA’s participation in the COP24.
- If available, participate in the Conference of Youth 14, taking place also in Katowice, prior to the COP24 (29/11 – 01/12) to prepare and discuss with fellow Youth Advocates.
The following criteria will be taken into account while evaluating your application:
- Motivation to contribute to IFMSA efforts towards the environment, climate change & health
- Interest, and understanding of Global Health and Climate Change issues.
Experience in Advocacy.
Potential empowerment, expected outcomes and follow up plans after the meeting;
Regional representation and Gender balance will also be taken into account
However, we also encourage emerging members who are committed to learn, gain new skills, and participate in IFMSA’s activities even beyond the conference.
How can you apply?
Fill in the Application Form – this is an online form, no need to do anything else than to fill in & click on submit.
Fill in the Candidature Form – Form must be signed and stamped by your NMO President, and must be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the ”[COP24 Application] Name of the applicant” in the email subject.
Both things need to be completed/sent before the 9th of October 2018 23:59 GMT.
In case of one document missing, the application will be considered as invalid.
Accepted applicants will receive online preparation as soon as the results are released. IFMSA commits to train, brief and prepare all delegates to the meeting; and to smoothly coordinate the delegation during the meeting. Unfortunately, IFMSA is not able to cover transportation or accommodation expenses.
In case of any questions please do not hesitate to email me at email@example.com
I am looking forward to reading your applications!
Tarek is the Liaison Officer for Public Health Issues-elect
- 1 Chair of OC
- 1 Vice-Chair of OC
- 1 Finances Coordinator
- 1 Public Relations and Social Media Coordinator
- 1 Program Coordinator (position taken by the Liaison Officer to the WHO)
- 1 Logistics Coordinator (preferably a member of Swimsa Switzerland)
- 3 Academic coordinators:
- 1 x Academic Coordinator for Meaningful Youth Participation
- 1 x Academic Coordinator for Universal Health Coverage
- 1 x Academic Coordinator for Global Health Education
- (these three positions are aligned with the IFMSA Global Priorities 2018/2019 – document attached to this email. It is recommended you familiarise yourself with these before applying)
- Relevant Experience in Global Health, Events Organization and Skillset
- Previous Experience in PreWHA/as PreWHA OC (but please do apply even if you do not have experience with the PreWHA!)
- Time availability from now until May 2019 and during the PreWHA and WHA
- Overall impression of the candidature
- Deadline: 19 October 2018, 23.59 GMT for both the google form and document submission.
- Subject Line: you must put [PWOC] in the beginning of the subject line of your email.
- Note: Incomplete or late applications will not be considered
IFMSA-Guatemala – SRT Guatemala 2018
For more information you can check ourInvitation Package
IFMSA-Morocco – Moro Camp SRT
View the full invitation here: https://mailchi.mp/de8141ccc64d/morocamp-ii?e=64ecaeb801
- TNT : Training New Trainers
- PHLT : Public Health Leadership Training*
- TMET : Mraining Medical Education Trainers
- HEAT : HIV Education and Advocacy Training
- Folklore night & dinner with a spectacular view of Essaouira’s Coast
- Free tour in Essaouira city center.
- NFDP (National food and drink party)
- Optional desert Safari trip
- Optional Surfing and Kitesurfing courses
- Optional Camel, horse, and squad Rides on the beach side
- APPLICATION’S DEADLINE for Early Fee : September 27, 2018 => bit.ly/MoroCamp_Early
- Early Fee : 140€ (all inclusive, meals and lodging)
- Late Fee : Higher price (will be announced later).
- Late or incomplete applications won’t be taken into account.